Handy Guide To The Different Types Of Bible | Born Gifted
Many people choose to give a bible as a gift at a Christening or Baptism and often it is the Godparents who purchase the present as their way of guiding the little one in their faith. But what kind of bibles are there?
Types of different bible available
Popular versions of the Protestant bible include The King James Version which is an English translation by the Church of England in 1604; and the New International Version which is one of the most popular English translations (published in the United States).
A popular Roman Catholic translation is the New Jerusalem Bible which was first published in 1985
Jehovah’s Witnesses’ bibles
All bibles, whatever type you read, are translations of the original languages. The Bible was never written in English; the Old Testament was primarily written in Hebrew and the New Testament was originally written in Greek.
Your choice of bible is obviously determined by your type of faith. But as well as the main religious bibles, there are also different varieties of bibles to choose from.
Varieties of bibles include
- Study bible; have explanatory notes next to the columns of text and footnotes to aid understanding
- Children’s bible; often illustrated with maps, drawings and simplified stories
- Traditional; very old-style and mainly text based.
- Reference; cyclopaedic index of words and the reference to the verse location and its meaning.
- Pew bible; inexpensive bibles to be placed in pews of churches for worship.
- Pastor’s bible; include protocols and recommended verses for special occasions like a wedding, funeral, Easter, Christmas etc. Also includes answers to frequently asked questions.
- Personalised bible; you can often have a bible personalised on the front cover which makes it an extra special gift for a Christening, Communion or Baptism.
How do you choose the best bible for you?
Who is the bible for?
If you are buying a bible specifically for a special occasion such as a Christening then a popular choice is the King James Version. If the child belongs to the Roman Catholic Church then a Catholic bible such as the New Jerusalem Bible or the CTS New Catholic Bible may be more appropriate. If you are purchasing a bible for a Communion there are specific versions you can choose to suit this occasion.
Here at Born Gifted we have an extensive selection of bibles including King James versions, New Testament (Psalms) and Catholic bibles. These are all popular choices for religious celebrations such as a Christening/Baptism or Communion. If you have the honour of being a Godparent take some time to browse our very large range of personalised christening gifts - we are sure you will find plenty of ideas to suit your budget.